Restaurants, bars, shops and entertainment
Chandler may be known for its annual Chandler Ostrich Festival and huge Christmas tree, but its thriving downtown is another draw for locals and visitors alike.
Business is booming — the retail vacancy rate was “the lowest in more than 10 years” in March, according to the city — and there’s no shortage of places to eat, drink and hang out .
Downtown Chandler is home to two dozen restaurants and bars, several colorful murals, a leafy park, and long-standing family businesses. It sits between Chandler Boulevard and Frye Road, with most businesses cloistered for several blocks on Arizona Avenue.
If you’re looking for tips on how to make the most of your time in downtown Chandler, here’s a list of places to eat and drink, events happening throughout the year, and where you can go shopping.
What’s New in Chandler:This K-Pop shop and several restaurants are now open
Downtown Chandler Restaurants
Here’s where to grab a meal downtown.
- American Tavern Bourbon Jacks: 11 W. Boston St., Suite 1, Chandler. 480-664-1738, https://www.bourbonjacks.com.
- Charming Thai cuisine: 11 W. Boston St. #5, Chandler. 480-917-7222, https://www.charmtc.com.
- Cheba Hut Grilled Subs: 11 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-687-8990, https://chebahut.com/locations/chandleraz.
- DC Steakhouse: 180 S. Arizona Ave., Suite 106, Chandler. 480-899-4400, https://www.dc-steakhouse.com.
- Eastwind Sushi and Grills: 58 W. Buffalo St., Chandler. 480-855-7451, https://www.facebook.com/EastwindSushi.
- Gadzook: 290 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 602-279-5080, https://www.gadzooksaz.com.
- Ghett Yo Taco: 241 S. Oregon St., Chandler. 480-726-9654, https://www.ghettyotaco.com.
- The hidden house: 159 W. Commonwealth Avenue, Chandler. 480-275-5525, https://www.hiddenhouseaz.com.
- Inchin Bamboo Garden: 17 E. Boston St., Chandler. 480-786-4008, https://bamboo-gardens.com.
- Jinya Ramen Bar: 130 S. Arizona Ave., Suite 1, Chandler. 480-758-5198, https://www.jinyaramenbar.com.
- The new Mexican cuisine of La Ristra: 140 N. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-590-0002, https://laristraaz.com.
- The local Chandler: 55 W. Chicago St., Chandler. 480-699-9104, https://www.thelocalchandler.com.
- Mix + graze: 48 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. 480-726-2264, https://mingleandgraze.com.
- Original Chop Shop: 35 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-426-0216, https://originalchopshop.com.
- Too easy: 140 N. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-257-3449, https://eatovereasy.com.
- Pirate Fish & Chips: 200 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-963-4277, https://www.facebook.com/pirateschandler.
- Sasha’s cuisine and cocktails: 81 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-284-7447, https://sashaskitchenaz.com.
- Serrano Mexican Restaurant: 141 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-899-3318, https://serranosaz.com.
- The Stillery: 130 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-590-1409, https://www.stillerychandler.com.
- Truland Burgers and Greens: 140 N. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-597-7806, https://www.trulandburgers.com.
- West Alley BBQ and Smoker: 111 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-248-8819, https://www.westalleybbq.com.
Downtown Chandler Bars & Breweries
These establishments are known for their craft cocktails, wine and beer. Most also serve food.
- BlackSheep Wine Bar and Merchant: 98 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. 480-912-1212, https://www.blacksheep.wine.
- The downtown brickyard: 85 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-963-1373, https://brickyarddowntown.com.
- Murphy’s Law Irish Pub and Brewery: 58 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. 480-812-1588, https://www.murphyslaw.pub.
- The Ostrich: 10 N. San Marcos Place #B1, Chandler. 480-917-4903, https://crustrestaurants.com.
- Pedal Haus Brewery: 95 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-656-1639, https://www.pedalhausbrewery.com.
- The brasserie and the Perch pub: 232 S. Wall Street, Chandler. 480-773-7688, https://perchpubbrewery.com.
- Quarter House: 201 S. Washington Street, Chandler. 480-439-2739, https://quarthaus.com.
- Recreation: 28 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. 480-909-6467, https://www.recreoaz.com.
- SanTan Brewery: 8 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. 480-917-8700, https://santanbrewing.com.
- The Sleeping Whale: 290 S. Arizona Ave., Chandler. 480-758-4979, https://www.thesleepywhale.com.
- Spirit house: 8 S. San Marcos Square, #106, Chandler. 480-917-8700, https://spirithouseaz.com.
Where to get coffee, desserts in Chandler
- Downtown Chandler Cafe and Bakery: 40 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. 480-855-3212, https://dccafeandbakery.com.
- Betty pallets: 96 W. Boston St., #100, Chandler. 480-779-8080, https://paletasbetty.com.
- Peixoto Coffee: 11 W. Boston St., #6, Chandler. 480-275-2843, https://peixotocoffee.com.
- Pie Snob: 250 S. Arizona Ave., Suite No. 4, Chandler. 480-855-1019, https://www.piesnob.com.
Chandler’s bubble tea scene:These new boba stores recently opened
Where to Shop in Downtown Chandler
Browsing through the shops in downtown Chandler, it’s obvious there’s a lot of local pride. You’ll find gifts for you and your loved ones, such as clothing, Arizona-themed accessories, and gift baskets at these local shops.
- Blue planet outside: 44 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. 480-525-6189, https://www.blueplaneoutdoors.com.
- D’Vine Gourmet: 72 S. San Marcos Square, Chandler. https://www.dvinegourmet.com.
- New next door: 135 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-559-8025, https://nextdoornovelties.com.
- The religious shop: 101 W.Boston St., Chandler. 480-786-5090, https://the-religion-store.business.site.
- Saba Western Clothing: 67 W. Boston St., Chandler. 480-963-4496, https://sabasofchandler.com.
- Shoe Chills: 11 W. Boston St., Suite 2, Chandler. 480-275-2898, https://shoethrill.com.
Things to do in Downtown Chandler
With palm-lined streets, brightly painted walls, grassy Dr. AJ Chandler Park, and restaurants spilling onto patio sidewalks, downtown Chandler is easy to navigate.
You’ll find plenty of street parking, parking garages, and electric car charging stations to use as you wander the downtown streets.
When you want to chill, catch the latest movie releases, and drink beer, try LOOK Dine-In Cinemas Chandler (1 W. Chandler Blvd.).
A free attraction is the Vision Gallery (10 E. Chicago St.), inside City Hall. You’ll find local and regional artists represented in rotating exhibits that feature a variety of media, including film, photography, textiles, painting, jewelry, and sculpture.
When day turns to night, head to ImprovMania (250 S. Arizona Ave.) to enjoy open mics, improv shows (family options are available), and comedy.
There are also plenty of things to do outdoors.
Colorful murals will hold your attention as you wander the east-west streets of Arizona Avenue. There’s the 225-foot-long wall along the Commonwealth Canal featuring “Downtown Chandler” painted by Chandler artist Ariana Enriquez.
Famous self-taught artist Lalo Cota’s signature calaveras (skulls) can be seen on the wall of Ghett Yo Taco (241 S. Oregon St.). Outside SanTan Brewing, you’ll find father-son duo Such Styles and Champ Styles’ ode to Arizona brewing.
Every Saturday from October through June, the Downtown Chandler Farmer’s Market takes over Dr. AJ Chandler Park West from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Expect to find dozens of artisans, food vendors, and produce stalls. Find event updates at https://www.facebook.com/ChandlerFarmersMarket.
Coming soon to downtown Chandler
New food, drink and entertainment options will open downtown.
According to its Facebook page, The Uncommon promises to provide “nostalgic fun” where you can “let your nerd flag fly” in its restaurant and arcade bar. Next door, Tipsy Egg will serve breakfast and lunch at an “urban cafe with an Arizona twist,” according to its Instagram account. Both are Allium Hospitality concepts and will be located at the southeast corner of Arizona Avenue and Boston Street.
Details: 1 E.Boston St., Chandler. The Unusual: https://www.facebook.com/theuncommonaz. Tipsy Egg: 480-909-6467, https://www.tipsyeggchandler.com.
ImprovMania, which has been running comedy shows and classes downtown since 2014, will move into a new space at the corner of The Uncommon and Tipsy Egg on Boston Street.
Details: 51 E.Boston St., Chandler. 480-699-4598, https://improvmania.net.
Support local journalism. Subscribe to azcentral.com today.